Nuclear technology has a wide range of applications in energy generation, agriculture, food preservation, water sustainability, medicine, research, industry, aeronautics, and military weapons. The inherent risk in the application of this versatile technology is human exposure to ionizing radiation. Low-level exposure has been shown to cause cancer, while high-level exposure has immediate and serious health risks and can be fatal.
Protection from Nuclear Radiation
In any application of nuclear technology, the removal of radioactive particulate material from exhaust air or gases is essential in preventing dangerous exposure by facility personnel and surrounding communities. Nuclear power plants also require air cooling systems to maintain atmospheric temperatures for safe operations and in response to emergency shutdowns.
Radiation Protection Standards
- Though natural sources account for up to 85% of a person’s annual radiation exposure, radiation protection standards assume that any dose, regardless of size, involves a possible risk to human health.
- About 23 million workers worldwide are monitored for radiation exposure, about 10 million of whom are exposed to artificial sources, mostly in the medical sector.
There are four methods of protection from identified radiation sources:
- Limiting exposure time
- Maintaining distance from the source, which decreases the intensity of radiation
- Shielding with barriers of lead, concrete, or water
- Containing dangerous particulate radioactive materials in a closed system with multiple barriers, such as complete containment air filtration systems
Single Source Expertise and Customization for Critical Nuclear Applications
Containment filtration systems are designed, developed, and manufactured to exact standards for control of dangerous particulate radioactive material generated by applications of nuclear technology. High quality, customized total containment filtration systems manufactured by a single source ensure application compatibility and maximum performance reliability to mitigate the risk of exposure to dangerous radioactive contaminants.
AAF specializes in the design, manufacturing, and testing of complete custom containment filtration systems incorporating high efficiency particulate and gas-phase filters providing ventilation, air treatment, and contaminant containment for facilities employing nuclear technology. We also custom design and manufacture nuclear cooling coils that are tested to ASME’s nuclear component certification standards; containment and safety coolers; and air handling units for maintaining required atmospheric temperatures within a nuclear facility.